Choosing the Right Equipment for Every Job Site
Equipment selection can be the most difficult part of planning a project, but it is vital to bidding, equipment life, site efficiency, and the overall success of your business. Not all heavy equipment can be used to perform the same tasks and even when functions overlap, efficiency must still be considered, as must the wear on your equipment.
So, how do you choose? There are multiple considerations, but here’s a list of the 5 things you need to consider most before making your decision.
- START WITH WHAT YOU HAVE:
- What are your current capabilities and what do you need to complete the job?
- What job(s) can each machine complete for this project?
- Is the selected machine the most efficient for the job?
- Where are your machines located in relation to the jobsite?
- KNOW YOUR SITE:
- Are there space limitations, nearby structures, weight limits, or noise restrictions?
- What type of soil will you be working with and how abrasive is it?
- How big is the project?
- How much power will your machines need to have?
- CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT CONDITIONS:
- CONSIDER UNIT PRODUCTION COSTS:
- What will it cost to get each piece of equipment to the site?
- What will it cost to operate each piece on site?
- What are the insurance needs?
- How much fuel will you need?
- What backup parts might you need to make the job a success?
- CONSIDER YOUR ADDITIONAL NEEDS:
- Do you need equipment beyond your current fleet?
- Can anything in your fleet be safely and properly adapted to meet those additional needs?
- Would the cost of renting or buying be justified?
- What are the purchase financing options and do they work for your business?
- What timeline are you looking at to rent or buy equipment?
If you are still having difficulty, did you know Cat’s Equipment Management Solutions (EMSolutions) can help monitor your machine use and assist with fleet utilization on your job site? You even get reports detailing how you compare to others in the region so you know when you’re at the top of your game.
Check out our EMSolutions page where you will find more information about this service as well as a video that shows how we can help you achieve greater efficiency on your site. Want to talk? Contact your local Western States location and we’d be happy to walk you through it over the phone or in person.