|Gross Power||284 HP (212 kW)|
|Net Power||248 HP (185 kW)|
|Engine Model||Cat® C7.1 ACERT™: configured for two emissions options|
|Bore||4.1 in (105 mm)|
|Gross Power||284 HP (212 kW)|
|Net Power||248 HP (185 kW)|
|Engine Model||Cat® C7.1 ACERT™: configured for two emissions options|
|Bore||4.1 in (105 mm)|
|Stroke||5.3 in (135 mm)|
|Displacement||427.8 in³ (7.01 l)|
|Emissions||Meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV emission standards or meets U.S. EPA Tier 3/EU Stage IIIA equivalent emission standards|
|Gross Power - ISO 14396 - Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||274 HP (204 kW)|
|Gross Power - SAE J1995 - Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||286 HP (213 kW)|
|Gross Power - SAE J1995 - Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||284 HP (212 kW)|
|High Idle Speed||2270 r/min (2270 r/min)|
|Low Idle Speed||800 r/min (800 r/min)|
|Maximum Net Torque - 1,400 rpm - Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||899 lb/ft (1219 N·m)|
|Rated Power (Net ISO 9249) - Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent||249 HP (186 kW)|
|Rated Power (Net ISO 9249) - Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||248 HP (185 kW)|
|Rated Power (SAE J1349) - Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||249 HP (186 kW)|
|Rated Power (SAE J1349) - Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||248 HP (185 kW)|
|Transmission Type||Planetary – Powershift – ECPC|
|Travel Speeds - Forward - First||3.8 mile/h (6.1 km/h)|
|Travel Speeds - Forward - Second||6.8 mile/h (10.9 km/h)|
|Travel Speeds - Reverse - First||4.3 mile/h (7 km/h)|
|Travel Speeds - Reverse - Second||7.8 mile/h (12.5 km/h)|
|Cylinders, Double Acting - Lift, Bore and Stroke||120 mm × 915 mm (4.7 in × 36.0 in)|
|Main Relief Pressure||3190 psi (22000 kPa)|
|Maximum Supply Pressure||2930 psi (20200 kPa)|
|Pump Flow at 2,111 rpm||23.5 gal/min (89 l/min)|
|Front||Planetary – Fixed|
|Rear||Planetary – Oscillating|
|Parking Brake||Drum and Shoe, Spring Applied, Hydraulic Released|
|Cooling System - Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||21.4 gal (US) (81 l)|
|Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV Only)||4.2 gal (US) (16 l)|
|Differential - Final Drives - Front||11.4 gal (US) (43 l)|
|Differential - Final Drives - Rear||11.4 gal (US) (43 l)|
|Engine Crankcase||5.28 gal (US) (20 l)|
|Fuel Tank||132.1 gal (US) (500 l)|
|Hydraulic Tank Only||19.8 gal (US) (75 l)|
|Transmission||14.8 gal (US) (56 l)|
|Operating Weight||56899 lb (25809 kg)|
|Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||112 dB(A) (112 dB(A))|
|Operator Sound Level - ISO 6396||70 dB(A) (70 dB(A))|
|Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||111 dB(A) (111 dB(A))|
|Operator Sound Level - ISO 6396||71 dB(A) (71 dB(A))|
|Maximum Operating Weight (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV)||56899 lb (25809 kg)|
|Maximum Operating Weight (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent)||56308 lb (25541 kg)|
|Height - Top of Exhaust Pipe||11.5 ft (3497 mm)|
|Height - Top of Hood||8.9 ft (2720 mm)|
|Ground Clearance - Bumper||2.7 ft (818 mm)|
|Hitch to Centerline of Front Axle||5.5 ft (1675 mm)|
|Wheel Base||11 ft (3350 mm)|
|Width - Over Wheels||131.4 ft (3338 mm)|
|Centerline of Rear Axle to Bumper||6.5 ft (1990 mm)|
|Height - Cab Roof||12.7 ft (3878 mm)|
|Height - Top of Beacon||14.3 ft (4368 mm)|
|Inside Turn Radius - Blade||9.5 ft (2910 mm)|
|Inside Turn Radius - Wheels||8.9 ft (2700 mm)|
|Outside Turning Radius - Blade||21.2 ft (6473 mm)|
|Overall Length - Maximum||26.4 ft (8058 mm)|
|Ground Clearance||1.7 ft (516 mm)|
|Bore||4 in (101.6 mm)|
|Maximum System Flow||147 L/min @ 2,111 rpm (38.8 gal/min @ 2,111 rpm)|
|Steering Pressure Limited||4003 psi (27600 kPa)|
|Steering System - Circuit||Closed Center Load Sensing|
|Steering System - Pump||Piston – Variable Displacement|
|Stroke||23.5 in (597 mm)|
|Vehicle Articulation Angle||84 ° (84 °)|
|Torque Rise||52 % (52 %)|
|Height - Including Cutting Edge and Screen||6.4 ft (1961 mm)|
|Maximum Depth of Cut||1.2 ft (362 mm)|
|Maximum Lift Above Ground||3.7 ft (1140 mm)|
|Width - Moldboard Length||11.75 ft (3580 mm)|
|Width - Over End Bits||12 ft (3656 mm)|
|Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||110 dB(A) (110 dB(A))|
|Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 4 Final/Stage IV||109 dB(A) (109 dB(A))|
|Gross Power - ISO 14396 - Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||275 HP (205 kW)|
|Maximum Altitude - Without Derating||9842.52 ft (3000 m)|
|Maximum Net Torque - 1,400 rpm - Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||749 lb/ft (1016 N·m)|
|Cooling System - Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent||19.3 gal (US) (73 l)|
|Note||All non-road Tier 4 Final and Stage IV diesel engines are required to use: – Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels containing 15 ppm for the EPA, 10 ppm for the EU (mg/kg) sulfur or less. Biodiesel blends up to B20 are acceptable when blended with 15 ppm (mg/kg) sulfur or less ULSD and when the biodiesel feedstock meets ASTM D7467 specifications. – Cat DEO-ULS™ or oils that meet the Cat ECF-3, API CJ-4, and ACEA E9 specifications are required. – Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) that meets all requirements defined in ISO 22241-1.|
|Combo Wheels - Drum Diameter||55.1 in (1400 mm)|
|Combo Wheels - Drum Width||40 in (1016 mm)|
|Combo Wheels - Outside Diameter||67.6 in (1717 mm)|
|Combo Wheels - Replaceable||Welded|
|Combo Wheels - Tip Height||6.25 in (159 mm)|
|Combo Wheels - Tips per Row||5|
|Combo Wheels - Tips per Wheel||20|
|Combo Wheels - Weight (Group)||13554 lb (6148 kg)|
|Combo Wheels - Width over Drums||131.4 in (3338 mm)|
|Paddle Tips - Drum Diameter||55.1 in (1400 mm)|
|Paddle Tips - Drum Width||40 in (1016 mm)|
|Paddle Tips - Outside Diameter||67.6 in (1717 mm)|
|Paddle Tips - Replaceable||Welded|
|Paddle Tips - Tip Height||6.25 in (159 mm)|
|Paddle Tips - Tips per Row||5|
|Paddle Tips - Tips per Wheel||20|
|Paddle Tips - Weight (Group)||13126 lb (5954 kg)|
|Paddle Tips - Width over Drums||131.4 in (3338 mm)|
|Plus Tips - Drum Diameter||55.1 in (1400 mm)|
|Plus Tips - Drum Width||40 in (1016 mm)|
|Plus Tips - Outside Diameter||67.6 in (1717 mm)|
|Plus Tips - Replaceable||Welded|
|Plus Tips - Tip Height||6.25 in (159 mm)|
|Plus Tips - Tips per Row||5|
|Plus Tips - Tips per Wheel||20|
|Plus Tips - Weight (Group)||13982 lb (6342 kg)|
|Plus Tips - Width over Drums||131.4 in (3338 mm)|
Benefits and Features
Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS)
The new APECS is designed to improve transmission shifting performance, providing a higher level of comfort for the operator and increasing productivity.
The left pedal acts as a brake, transmission neutralizer and an engine decelerator to override the engine speed selected by the throttle lock. This enables the operator to slow down when the throttle lock is engaged and to return to throttle lock without pressing a resume or set button again. This aids in maneuvering around trucks, tractors or any other obstacle.
Confident machine operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 816K's load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 42 degrees each way of steering articulation
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls
The 816K is specifically designed and made with purpose built structures to remain safe and durable for the long run. Advanced design, materials and robotic welding contribute to increased durability and overall machine strength.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Two forward and two reverse speeds.
Engine and Emissions
The Cat C7.1 ACERT engine is designed for maximum fuel efficiency and increased power density. Two engine options are available to meet Tier 4 Final/Stage IV or Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent emission standards. This engine features innovative Cat electronics, fuel injection process, air-management systems, aftertreatment solution with Cat Selective Catalytic Reduction, and a fuel efficient regeneration system. The Cat Regeneration System automatically removes soot from the Diesel Particulate Filter without interrupting your machine's work cycle.
Efficient Systems and Components
Innovative systems intelligently lower the average working engine speeds and reduce the overall system heat loads which result in significantly improved performance and fuel efficiency.
Advanced Systems with Innovative Integration
The deep system integration of the new engine and emissions system, power train, hydraulic system and cooling system result in lower fuel consumption on average compared to previous models.
Next Generation Fuel Systems
Cat injection timing precisely controls the fuel injection process through a series of carefully timed microbursts, providing more control of combustion for the cleanest, most efficient fuel burn. On the 816K the high pressure common rail fuel systems boost performance and reduce soot for the C7.1 ACERT engine.
Cat NOx Reduction System
The Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS) captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it back into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
To meet the additional 80% reduction in NOx emissions required by Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards, one new system, the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), has been added to the already proven Cat Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB aftertreatment solution.
New Long Life Paddle and Plus Design Compactor Tips
Providing up to 40% longer life than previous offering.
Designed specifically to compliment Cat machines.
Improving machine performance!
- Longer wear life
- Maintaining traction
Three new wheel and tip configurations are available to meet your particular application: 1) Paddle Tip – High performance and less fuel burn with more traction and less weight. 2) Plus Tip – Traditional design for increased side slope stability. 3) Combination Tip – Both paddle and plus tips provide the best compromise of performance and fuel economy with side slope stability.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Your operator's productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls
- Pressurized cab with filtered air
- Reduced sound levels
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box
- Footrest for additional comfort
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and help reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions
- Air suspension system
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments
- Floor-mounted implement pod and STIC™ steer provides greater stability
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC)
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with a new fold up STIC armrest.
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection
- Smoother, faster cycles help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you'll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before.
Cat Connect technologies offers improvements in these key areas: Equipment Management – increase uptime and reduce operating costs. Productivity – monitor production and manage job site efficiency. Safety – enhance job site awareness to keep your people and equipment safe.
LINK technologies wirelessly connect you to your equipment, giving you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performing so you can make timely, fact-based decisions that can boost job site efficiency and productivity.
Product Link is deeply integrated into your machine, giving you access to timely information like machine location, hours, fuel usage, idle time and event codes via the online VisionLink user interface can help you effectively manage your fleet and lower operating costs.
Rear Vision Camera
A rear vision camera greatly enhances visibility behind the machine to help the operator work more productively. Work with greater confidence and at peak potential while keeping people and assets safe.
COMPACT technologies combine advanced compaction measurement, in-cab guidance, and reporting capabilities to help you consistently meet compaction targets fast, uniformly, in fewer passes – saving on fuel and rework.
Cat Compaction Control
The factory-installed Cat Compaction Control system uses the Cat Compaction Algorithm to measure effective compaction value and deliver real-time 3D pass mapping guidance to the cab, indicating where to work and when layers are compacted to optimum density. Pass mapping helps eliminate voids, optimize cell space, and document results. VisionLink 3D Project Monitoring provides landfill managers with detailed compaction analysis to more effectively monitor and manage their operation.
Working in the toughest application, the purpose built 816K Landfill Compactor has specialized waste guarding to protect key components and systems from damage, debris, chemicals, premature wear, or wrapping of the material around components. This additional guarding includes:
- Engine and Power Train Guards – Guards help prevent trash build-up and shield components.
- Front Frame Guards – Front frame guards prevent trash build-up inside the frame. This guard further protects components and hydraulic lines.
- Axle Wrapping and Seal Guarding – The guarding prevents material from wrapping and binding around the axles, as well as assist in ease of cleaning.
- Major System Guarding and Sight Gauges – Transmission oil tube is guarded to resist damage from debris. The sight gauge for the transmission is visible from ground level. The fuel tank is positioned away from the debris in the front frame and is easily accessed.
- High Radiator Air Inlet with Screen – Helps prevent trash from entering the radiator area, maintaining proper airflow and allows for debris to fall off.
- Striker Bars and Optional Cleaner Fingers – Striker bars are located in front of and behind the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. Striker bars help to keep wheels free of debris to assist the wheel tips in maintaining good compaction. In cohesive material or severe packing conditions, optional cleaner fingers are available to further assist in keeping the wheel tips clean.
- Extended Roof – An oversized roof extends past the cab doors and windows to minimize debris build up.
- Suction Fan – Allows ambient air to cool, providing better cooling capacity. It also pressurizes the engine compartment, preventing trash build up.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Railings, ladders and non-slip surfaces enhance technician and operator safety
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas
- Rearview camera with in-cab monitor increases operator awareness around the machine
- Standard cab mounted LED warning strobes
- Increased stability for the operator with isolated cab mounts and floor-mounted implement and steering controls
- Low interior sound levels
- Pressurized cab with filtered air
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat
Reducing the Impact to the Environment
The 816K is designed and built with sustainability in mind.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste to the environment with our maintenance free batteries.
- To assist with maximizing machine life, the Cat 816K is built for multiple lives and is one of our most rebuilt products. To get the most value from your investment, Caterpillar offers sustainable options such as our Cat Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, remanufactured components deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers your operating cost while also reducing waste and minimizing the need for raw materials.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 816K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spills.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Quick visual inspection and minimize fluid contamination with sight gauges.
- Side access doors provided for cleanout of the cooling package.
- A new ground level service area includes a Master Disconnect Switch with integrated lock-out/tag-out, DEF purge lamp (TIer 4 Final/Stage IV machines only), circuit breakers, emergency fuel shutoff switch and the jump start receptacle.
- Centralized grease points for convenient maintenance.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts
- Best-in-class parts availability
- Improve your efficiency with operator training
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts
Data from customer machines show Cat Landfill Compactors are among the most fuel efficient machines in the industry. Several features contribute to this excellent fuel efficiency:
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS) – All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
- Fuel Tank Capacity minimum of 12 hours operation depending on the application.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Shifting (APECS)
- Alarm, back-up
- 12-volt power port for mobile phone or laptop connection
- Guards, axle (front and rear)
- Antifreeze, premixed 50% concentration extended life (–34° C/–29° F)
- DEF tank fill gauge (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Glass (window): – Standard bonded or rubber-mounted glass
- Axles: – Axle arrangement (no spin front) – Axle arrangement (no spin rear) – Axle arrangement (no spin front and rear)
- Engine precleaners: – Turbine or dual stage
- Dozer Arrangement – Standard (No Blade)
- Product Link: – GSM, satellite
- Wheels and tips: – Wheel arrangement (6.25" plus tip) – Wheel arrangement (6.25" paddle tip) – Wheel arrangement (6.25" plus and paddle) – Wheels, chopper