|Gross Power||562 HP (419 kW)|
|Net Power||496 HP (370 kW)|
|Engine Model||Cat® C18 ACERT™|
|Bore||5.71 in (145 mm)|
|Gross Power||562 HP (419 kW)|
|Net Power||496 HP (370 kW)|
|Engine Model||Cat® C18 ACERT™|
|Bore||5.71 in (145 mm)|
|Stroke||7.2 in (183 mm)|
|Displacement||1104.5 in³ (18.1 l)|
|Emissions||Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final or Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent|
|Gross - SAE J1349||562 HP (419 kW)|
|High Idle Speed||2120 r/min (2120 r/min)|
|Low Idle Speed||750 r/min (750 r/min)|
|Maximum Altitude - Without Derating||7500 ft (2286 m)|
|Maximum Gross Torque - 1,300 rpm||2275 ft·lbf (3085 N·m)|
|Net Power - SAE J1349 - Converter Drive - Gross Power||496 HP (370 kW)|
|Net Power - SAE J1349 - Converter Drive - Torque Rise||52 % (52 %)|
|Net Power - SAE J1349 - Direct Drive - Gross Power||496 HP (370 kW)|
|Net Power - SAE J1349 - Direct Drive - Torque Rise||52 % (52 %)|
|Rated Power (Lab)||555 HP (414 kW)|
|Rated Power (Net ISO 14396)||553 HP (412 kW)|
|Transmission Type||Planetary – Powershift – ECPC|
|Travel Speed - Forward - Converter 1st||3.9 mile/h (6.2 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Forward - Converter 2nd||6.8 mile/h (10.9 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Forward - Lockup 1st||4 mile/h (6.5 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Forward - Lockup 2nd||7.3 mile/h (11.7 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Reverse - Converter 1st||4 mile/h (6.5 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Reverse - Converter 2nd||6.5 mile/h (10.4 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Reverse - Lockup 1st||4.3 mile/h (6.9 km/h)|
|Travel Speed - Reverse - Lockup 2nd||7.6 mile/h (12.3 km/h)|
|Bore (1)||5 in (127 mm)|
|Bore (2)||5.5 in (137.9 mm)|
|Hydraulic System||Flow Sharing Implement|
|Lift System||Double Acting Cylinder|
|Main Relief Pressure||3495 psi (24100 kPa)|
|Maximum Supply Pressure||4640 psi (32000 kPa)|
|Pump Flow at 2,006 rpm||66 gal/min (250 l/min)|
|Steering System||Double Acting – End Mounted|
|Stroke (1)||29.1 in (740 mm)|
|Stroke (2)||40.2 in (1021 mm)|
|Vehicle Articulation Angle||86°|
|Front||Planetary – Fixed|
|Rear||Planetary – Oscillating|
|Control System||Full Hydraulic Split Circuit|
|Parking Brake||Spring Applied, Hydraulic Released|
|Fuel Tank||209 gal (US) (793 l)|
|Cooling System||28 gal (US) (107 l)|
|Crankcase||16 gal (US) (60 l)|
|Transmission||32 gal (US) (120 l)|
|Diesel Engine Fluid Tank (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final)||9 gal (US) (32.8 l)|
|Differential - Final Drives - Front||49 gal (US) (186 l)|
|Differential - Final Drives - Rear||50 gal (US) (190 l)|
|Hydraulic System - Tank Only||63 gal (US) (240 l)|
|Operating Weight||123319 lb (55927 kg)|
|Exterior Sound Level - Standard||111 dB(A) (111 dB(A))|
|Exterior Sound Level - Suppression||109 dB(A) (109 dB(A))|
|Interior Sound Level - Standard||72 dB(A) (72 dB(A))|
|Interior Sound Level - Suppression||71 dB(A) (71 dB(A))|
|Maximum Operating Weight (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent) - Multiple Blade and Wheel Offerings||122615 lb (55617 kg)|
|Maximum Operating Weight (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final) - Multiple Blade and Wheel Offerings||123319 lb (55927 kg)|
|Height - Top of Cab with A/C||15.27 ft (4655 mm)|
|Height - Top of Exhaust Pipe||15.12 ft (4608 mm)|
|Height - Top of Hood||11.22 ft (3421 mm)|
|Ground Clearance - Bumper||3.38 ft (1029 mm)|
|Centerline of Rear Axle to Edge of Counterweight||10.46 ft (3187 mm)|
|Hitch to Centerline of Front Axle||7.46 ft (2275 mm)|
|Wheel Base||14.93 ft (4550 mm)|
|Width - Over Wheels||14.04 ft (4280 mm)|
|Height - ROPS/Canopy||14.06 ft (4284 mm)|
|Height - Top of Cab with Strobe||15.9 ft (4845 mm)|
|Length - With Blade on Ground - Straight Blade||33.41 ft (10182 mm)|
|Turning Radius - Inside of Wheels||11.93 ft (3635 mm)|
|Ground Clearance||2.07 ft (632 mm)|
|Maximum Flow at × rpm||52 L/min @ 2,006 rpm|
|Steering Pressure Limited||3495 psi (24100 kPa)|
|Steering System - Circuit||Steering Double Acting – End Mounted|
|Steering System - Pump||Piston – Variable Displacement|
|Total Steering Angle||86 degrees|
|Diameter - With Tips||7 ft (2125 mm)|
|Drum Diameter||5.81 ft (1770 mm)|
|Drum Width||4.59 ft (1400 mm)|
|Tips per Wheel||40|
|Operating Weight - With Full Tank Capacities and U-Blade (Tier 3/Stage IIIA Equivalent)||122615 lb (55617 kg)|
|Operating Weight - With Full Tank Capacities and U-Blade (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final)||123319 lb (55927 kg)|
Benefits and Features
Impeller Clutch Torque Converter (ICTC)
Lower your cost per ton utilizing advanced ICTC
- Reduce wheel slippage and tip wear by modulating rimpull from 100 to 20 percent while depressing left pedal. After 20 percent rimpull is achieved the left pedal applies the brake.
- Reduce the potential for wheel slippage without reducing hydraulic efficiency.
- Improve fuel efficiency in certain applications with our lock-up clutch torque converter providing direct drive.
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements.
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection.
- Smoother, faster cycles help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls.
Confident machine operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 836K's load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps.
- Achieve precise positioning for easy steering in tight areas with 43 degrees each way of steering articulation.
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops.
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls.
- Conveniently set automatic implement kickouts from inside the cab.
Improved Hydraulic Efficiency
Efficiency at your landfill is critical for your business. Improved hydraulic efficiency is achieved with new flow sharing implement and steering variable displacement load sensing piston pumps. Since hydraulic flow is now on demand, you will see improved fuel efficiency.
We know the harsh environment your machines encounter at the working face of your landfill on a daily basis. This is why the 836K is specifically designed and made with purpose built structures to remain safe and durable for the long run.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame.
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity.
- Lower hitch pin, frame plate, and bearing size have been increased for longer life.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Two forward and two reverse speeds to match your application.
Cat C18 ACERT Engine
The Cat C18 ACERT engine is built and tested to meet your most demanding applications. Two engine options are available that meet Tier 4 Final/Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final emission standards or Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent emission standards.
- Fully integrated electronic engine controls works in concert with the entire machine to make your fuel go farther.
- Use less fuel idling with Engine Idle Shutdown.
- Maximized durability with Delayed Engine Shutdown.
Cat Torque Converter with Lock-up Clutch
- Eliminates TC losses while lowering system heat.
- Improves travel speeds.
- Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Fold up STIC steer/armrest.
- Reduced access stairway angles.
- Standard stairway lighting.
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and help reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat.
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt.
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators.
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification.
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake.
Your operator's productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension.
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Reduced sound levels.
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box.
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you'll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before.
Cat Connect technologies offer improvements in these key areas: Equipment Management – increase uptime and reduce operating costs. Productivity – monitor production and manage job site efficiency. Safety – enhance job site awareness to keep your people and equipment safe.
LINK technologies wirelessly connect you to your equipment, giving you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performing so you can make timely, fact-based decisions that can boost job site efficiency and productivity.
Product Link is deeply integrated into your machine, giving you access to timely information like machine location, hours, fuel usage, idle time and event codes via the online VisionLink user interface to help you effectively manage your fleet and lower operating costs.
VIMS™ data, like events, histograms, and historical trends, can be downloaded for analysis, giving you the information you need to proactively maintain fleet health and optimize performance and uptime.
DETECT technologies help keep people and equipment safe by enhancing operator awareness of the work area around working equipment and by monitoring and reporting unsafe conditions, like avoidance zones.
Rear Vision Camera
The rear vision camera greatly enhances visibility behind the machine to help the operator work more productively. Work with greater confidence and at peak potential while keeping people and assets safe.
COMPACT technologies combine advanced compaction measurement, in-cab guidance, and reporting capabilities to help you consistently meet compaction targets fast, uniformly, in fewer passes – saving on fuel and rework.
AccuGrade™ Compaction Control
The dealer-installed AccuGrade system uses the Cat Compaction Algorithm to measure effective compaction value and deliver real-time 3D pass mapping guidance to the cab, indicating where to work and when layers are compacted to optimum density. Pass mapping helps eliminate voids, optimize cell space, and document results. VisionLink 3D Project Monitoring provides landfill managers with detailed compaction analysis to more effectively monitor and manage their operation.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 836K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Ground level swing-out reversing fan for quick inspection and easy cleanout.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spills.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Quick visual inspection and minimize fluid contamination with sight gauges.
- Pressurized, temperature controlled engine compartment prevents small debris from entering and prevents extreme temperatures.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Left and right hand removable or optional swing-out stairs with 45 degree angle enhance safety for operators getting on and off the 836K.
- Continuous walkway with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation.
- Standard Cat Vision with in-cab monitor increase operator awareness around the machine.
- Optional LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility.
- Optional cab mounted LED warning beacons.
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls.
- Low interior sound levels.
- Pressurized cab with filtered air.
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat.
Protecting the Environment
Environmental responsibility is designed and built into our 836K's features.
- Burns less fuel than the previous model.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Built for multiple lives, the Cat 836K is one of the most rebuilt products. To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
Working in the toughest application, the purpose built 836K Landfill Compactor has specialized waste guarding to protect key components and systems from damage, debris, chemicals, premature wear, or wrapping of the material around components. This additional guarding includes:
- Engine and Power Train Guards – Hydraulically actuated guards help prevent trash build-up and shield components.
- Front Frame Guards – Front frame guards prevent trash build-up inside the frame. This guard further protects components and hydraulic lines.
- Axle Wrapping and Seal Guarding – The guarding prevents material from wrapping and binding around the axles, as well as assist in ease of cleaning.
- Major System Guarding and Sight Gauges – The hydraulic tank, the hydraulic system oil tube, and transmission oil tube are guarded to resist damage from debris. The sight gauges for the hydraulic and transmission are easily visible from ground level. The fuel tank is positioned away from the debris in the front frame and is easily accessed.
- Air Inlet Screen – The vertically corrugated, fine mesh, air inlet screen helps reduce trash from entering the radiator area and allows for debris to fall off.
- Striker Bars and Optional Cleaner Fingers – Striker bars are located in front of and behind the rear wheels and behind the front wheels. Striker bars help to keep wheels free of debris to assist the wheel step tips in maintaining good traction. In cohesive material or severe packing conditions, optional cleaner fingers are available to further assist in keeping the wheel step tips clean.
- Extended Roof – An oversized roof extends past the cab doors and windows to minimize debris build up.
New Long Life Paddle and Plus Design Compactor Tips
Providing up to 40% longer life than previous offering.
Designed specifically to compliment Cat machines.
Improving machine performance!
- Longer wear life
- Maintaining traction
Four new wheel and tip configurations are available to meet your particular application: 1) Paddle Tip – High performance and less fuel burn with more traction and less weight. 2) Plus Tip – Traditional design for increased side slope stability. 3) Combination Tip – Both paddle and plus tips to give high performance with side slope stability. 4) Diamond Tip – Longest life tip on the market with reputation of reliability that is world class in the waste tip industry.
Data from customer machines show Cat landfill compactors are among the most fuel efficient machines in the industry. Several features contribute to this excellent fuel efficiency:
- Positive Flow Control Hydraulics – Provides only the hydraulic flow required by the implement and steering systems for improved fuel efficiency and greater rimpull.
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Lockup Torque Converter – Transfers more power to the ground and optimizes fuel efficiency in all applications.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) – All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
- AccuGrade Compaction Control uses the Cat Compaction – Algorithm to help you consistently meet compaction targets fast, uniformly, in fewer passes – saving on fuel and rework.
Machine configuration, operator technique, and job site layout can impact fuel consumption.
- Machine Configuration – Select the correct blade and wheel configuration based on your individual application.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Shifting (APECS)
- Alarm, back-up
- Air conditioner
- Wheels, paddle, plus, combination, and diamond wheel configurations
- Guards, axle (front and rear)
- Bulldozer arrangement is included in the standard equipment. Bulldozer blades are optional.
- Antifreeze, premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- Auto Blade Positioner (ABP)